Here is a short routine showing you how to massage your baby’s legs and feet.
- Make sure the room temperature is about 24 -27c. The temperature in the bathroom after a bath is about right.
- Make sure your joints, back and hips are well supported.
- Preferably the room should be quiet without distractions or interruptions. The baby needs to feel that all your attention is on them.
Here are a few techniques to get you started
- Place your hands on the baby’s chest, talk to them and ask there permission to being. (This may sound a little silly now, but they really do understand the tone of your voice)
- Stroke evenly down the baby’s legs from the hips to the feet stretching out.
- Placing your thumbs on the soles of the feet, bring the knees up under the tummy
- Holding at the ankles bicycling in both directions
- Stroke firmly up and down the leg from hip to foot several times
- Make a “C” shape with your thumb and forefinger and lightly perform a wriggling action from hip to ankle
- Squeeze and release along thee length of the leg
- Hold at the ankle and firmly massage the foot between thumb and forefingers
- Repeat the second step to finish the massage